Wednesday, February 6, 2008

First Post

The journalism is the purveyor and the delivery system of knowledge that politicians quote their facts from. It is the source of sports commentary that blogs mercilessly steal from. It is the way in which celebrities are

We know what other people don't so they don't have to know it, or in the reverse, reaffirm what little people know and corroborate what the experts say. Journalists must keep their work stylish, fun, informative, and simple. This applies to the stuff I learned on the links too.

I like Mindy McAdams layouts page. I am going to go with the first one. It may not be the fancyist but its simple.

Think about the stuff on your page as solid boxes. The main text is one big box. A vertical stack of buttons is a small box. A simple page might look like this:

Example 1

I am going to keep a clear background in uconn colors. White, Blue, Black and Grey.

Her design looks alot like our uconn site actually. Accept she uses more pumice and plum colors.

I don't think much Navigation is that useful. Just a simple toolbar saying whats whats. It is necessary but on almost all websites, even new ones, I know where I want to go and how to get there. But it has to have a clear layout and tell me where I am going and how soon I will arrive there. I will leave if there is trouble loading. I do scan and not read. Unless I am on a story. I kind of miss reading now.

Nielsens idea to prioritize and track user content is brilliant. You can see what they like without them emailing you, because really who would email you a review of your own website?

I would put Dmitry's Lab under the poorly designed websites. I didnt see much good about it. It was not spaced out evenly. There were too many weirdly placed ads. And the text of the tutorials didnt seem to fit on the page. I think I am going to use the website aviary or About.com

About.com seems to have the best directory for web page tutorials and if I need to look up something else I can while I am there because it has everything like Wikipedia or the NYT.com and this as a viewer appeals to me.

Webreference.com was awful. Half the links I clicked on were dead. It's from 1998. I am sure some of the info is still good but i can help but think some of it must have changed. Too much blathering on and not enough pictures to keep me interested so I took the advice of scanning and went elsewhere.

The top 10 of 2005 from him is also good. I can't tell you how many times I have been so annoyed by a bad search engine that I leave the site, or that I leave because I can't read their font without highlighting it.

Webs Pages That Suck was very funny. I wouldn't want an explosion on my site, or to be drowned out by poorly placed popup ads. The 1995-2015 rules I agree with. No one should have poorly designed pages like that. Too much material and self importance always get me. Thats why we have blogs and youtube accounts!

As for our own Web Development Lab, I like the social work and african american studies pages, they are nice to look at an easy to click around with the top navigation.

All in all I think I am going to like this class and my website.



No comments: